Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Beer Cocktail #2

I made a Rooster Cogburn with Peticolas Velvet Hammer. This cocktail took more time and energy, but was well worth the effort.

The first step was to make a lager syrup. I still had some Deep Ellum Rye Pils leftover from my first cocktail. The recipe from Alex Gregg who runs the bar at Goro & Gun in Houston called for twenty four ounces of beer, one cup of sugar, and half a cup of brown sugar.


You need to reduce the beer by half, and then stir in the sugars. The recipe said to make sure the beer doesn't boil over, and as a result I was overly cautious and cooked it a lot slower than I should have. It took me an hour to make the syrup, but if I had to do it again I would keep the beer on med/high heat the whole time and probably be done in about half the time.

After allowing time for the lager syrup to cool I cleaned out the bottle from the ginger beer in Cocktail #1 and used it to store the syrup. This syrup is delicious. Sweet, with a hint of a beer flavored bite. Now that I have the lager syrup in my arsenal, you will be seeing it in a lot of my future cocktails.

With the hard part over, now comes the fun part. My Rooster Cogburn is:
1 1/2 oz. Buffalo Trace Bourbon
2 oz Peticolas Velvet Hammer
1/2 oz. Deep Ellum Rye Pils Syrup
1 tsp Steen's Cane Syrup (available at most grocery stores)
1 whole egg


You put some ice in the cocktail shaker, add in all the ingredients and you shake it up until the egg makes everything frothy and delicious. Then, you strain your Rooster Cogburn out into a glass with no ice and enjoy.


I absolutely loved the way the Peticolas Velvet Hammer complimented the bourbon in this drink. I even emailed Michael Peticolas himself to inquire as to whether we could expect a Bourbon Barrel Hammer in the near future, but he told me not to expect it anytime soon because everyone is doing them and the novelty has worn off. I will go on dreaming of a Bourbon Hammer, and drinking this in the meantime. I suggest you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment